Wednesday 13 May 2009

Map it Out

I think maps are fun…either nautical or historical, they evoke a feeling of freedom and a pioneering spirit. These are some of the best that I have come across. 

sullen gregory

Sullen Gregory via Cote de Texas

may evelyn mckee

Mary Evelyn McKee

1Sydney based interior designer Thomas Hamel

Thomas Hamel though Desire to Inspire

joni_may 09

my office 005_thumb[3] joni webb c de texas

Lamp Shade and Antique Rome Map- Joni Webb- Cote de Texas

CIMG7769

I spied these prints at Ethan Allen last week.

CIMG7177

CIMG7182

Michelle Morelan Design

CIMG5990

Michelle Morelan Design

worldmap_big ferm living

 Ferm Living Wall Decals

image

S.R. Gambrel

image

Kerry Joyce Associates Inc.

BF1100000448 fotosearch 

Image from Foto Search

image

RL’s English Gallery – Parchment

image

RL’s Great Harbor – Parchment or White

image

image

RL Desert Map – Sand

13 comments:

Velvet and Linen said...

Those RL wallpapers are wonderful.
I love how you used the map as a back drop for the bed. Great idea!

xo
Brooke

DesignTies said...

I love maps :-) I think they look great when they're used as artwork -- and you found some wonderful examples :-)

Did you know that Flor has a set of carpet tiles that create a bird's eye view of a cityscape?? (Hope the URL works).

http://www.flor.com/service/flor/shop/rug/Hello-Down-There-Rug-Kit/R149000006-98298.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=hello&utm_campaign=emaildad

Kelly

cotedetexas said...

Oh Michelle - God, we have similar taste!!! don't you just love maps? I wonder what it is about them that is so lovable? hah!!! I see one and just go weak in the knees - like my lampshades - I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for those, but I just HAD to have them, you know? I know you know!!!

I also love maps of estates - you know the kind - ???? I love those!

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

I am currently designing a kids bedroom with the nautical chart wallpaper by RL - I am a big fan of maps. They always look elegant and they bring a sense of location - I don't know, the maps almost have a feeling that you belong to that part of the world or you want to be in that part of the world.

Maria Killam said...

Love all the ways you've shown the maps in design. Especially in your bedroom of course, that was such a great idea!

cotedetexas said...

hi - I added this to my Blog Stories Worth Reading column!!!
Joni

Unknown said...

What a great post you have done on maps. They add such depth and character to a room and work so well in a small space such as a powder room. I love how you have so ingeniously used the map of 'old Paris' on the feature wall in your Master Bedroom. Well done!!
Patricia

pve design said...

Christopher Columbus would have loved these!

Brillante Interiors said...

Funny, I missed this post but I saw it on Cote de Texas and I was thrilled! By the way also on Joni's latest post there are some maps...and Ivan is using some... They are a nice touch.

Pauline Wiles said...

Wonderful post, I had no idea there were so many map options available!
On the same topic, I really enjoyed this map-how-to by Centsational Girl.

kathleen said...

What a great post. I completely agree about maps - so interesting.

Pigtown*Design said...

I used to have an office in an old church. The organization was for the preservation of the Chesapeake Bay and the whole room - with 11 foot ceilings - was papered in the charts for the bay and its tributaries. I remember it fondly!

Mike said...

I you like maps you should check out http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/