Saturday 30 January 2010

Rendering 103: How to add Sheen to Flooring

Many of you have asked about how to get light effects and sheen on a flooring surface. Here is one of the ways I do this…

1. Start with drafting tape…it’s not as sticky as regular masking tape. I usually put it on my jeans or my skin a few times to get most of the tackiness out of it. Then figure out your light source, and tape out some rays of light. A piece of furniture will block the light…so leave that part of the floor dark.

CIMG1299

2. Use white chalk pastels (the hard ones) and something to scrape some powder off…I’ve used a bulldog clip edge…then scrape some of the powder between the tape lines.

CIMG1300

Build up the powder…not too much, not too little. You can always put the tape back down and add more, but you can’t take away. Actually, that’s not true, you can blow it off still at this stage.

CIMG1301

3. Rub the chalk powder in with your finger…not too much pressure.

CIMG1303

4. Remove the tape carefully, by rocking it back and forth as you pull it.

CIMG1307

5. I use a make-up brush to remove the excess chalk …you can do this before you remove the tape if you have lots of powder. Brush in the same direction of the light.

CIMG1314

             

living room

Interior Design by Patricia Gray Interior Design

12 comments:

Terry said...

Magic done right before our eyes. Thanks.

Brillante Interiors said...

I am enjoying all these lessons (for free for now!)and learning each time. I love the process and maybe one day...
Thanks Michelle.

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Sweet!

You should teach courses on sketching Michelle I'm serious.

Picture of Elegance Blog said...

Great perspective. Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

So cool! Can't wait for the rendering classes to start. Seriously, Michelle!...

qerat said...

Michelle this is just great. I always wondered how its done. I would NEVER attempt to even think of doing a render :)

John Gibson said...

I love this! I can do watercolor renderings pretty well but am totally scared of markers-I have to start doing some soon. Your step by steps help a lot

DesignTies said...

Thanks for sharing your technique, Michelle :-) I may take a shot at doing some renderings for my Interior Finishes assignments. Depends on how brave I'm feeling after I finish drawing my layouts!!

Kelly

John Kelsey said...

Beautiful! Keep the tutorials coming!!!! I struggle with the deep rich colors and tones. Mine always seem to feel flat and opaque.

Tracy Watier said...

Thank you so much, Michelle! Never learned THAT in a sketching class.

pve design said...

Amazing! Your work is so wonderful.
I wish we were neighbors - I would come to your class.
pve

Maddie said...

You give great tutorials! Thank you so much!