All day today, we were at a seminar put on by the Seattle Design Center focused on the changes in the interior design field by Mary Knackstedt, who has written one of my favorite reference books ever...The Interior Design Business Handbook (see my sidebar)...I didn't realize this, until I saw it on the table for sale! The book contains forms, including worksheets and a contract that I couldn't have done without.
Mary and I are not of the same stature...she is very petite! (and obviously gracious).
I also bought her new book, The Challenge of Interior Design, which she told me is more personal and philosophical. She has been in business over 30 years, and is Founder and President of Knackstedt, Inc. She is a seminar leader, and business consultant for Interior Design Firms.
Her presentation style is relaxed and well read, with a confident cadence. A few things I got from her presentation were:
- Do your best work possible...always!
- It's not cost , it's an investment (we have known that for years)
- 20% of the time, try new things; the other 80% is do what you know in order to keep the hours reasonable on a project
- I really wanted to ask a question about work and the economy, but have noticed for a few months, the most well read and intelligent people I know have been showing their disgust at the media when it comes to this issue; so, when someone asked (of course), she said the same thing. So...I am no longer talking about, thinking about or giving any energy to this obsession the media has with scaring the SHIT out of us...
The colours of the upholstery in orange, blue, and greys, with dark grey walls had a very "W" look. Great lighting!
The beautiful ceilings in the lobby with a Greek key and egg and dart pattern, show respect for the original architecture, and felt very Italian.
We were a few blocks away from Nordstrom's, and some great restaurants...way to go with the planning there Nancy! Nice choice!